css body, p, .post-body { font-family: 'Google Sans Text', sans-serif !important; } /* Apply Google Sans to Post Titles and Headings */ h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, .post-title, .post h2 { font-family: 'Google Sans', sans-serif; font-weight: 500; }

Monday, August 17, 2026

Is this possibly the end of the road for the ZS1I AllStar RF Link on 145.550 Mhz in Mossel Bay?

Image: AI (Click on the image for larger view.)

Is this possibly the end of the road for the ZS1I AllStar RF Link on 145.550 Mhz?  For the time being the ZS1I AllStar RF Link on 145.550 Mhz in Mossel Bay has been switched off and will not be available until further notice.

The following reasons are being presented as to why this decision has been taken:

1.  The 145.550 Mhz RF Link is solely being used by yours truly in and around the household.  Running at 25 watts output power this is a waste of RF energy and unnecessary stress on equipment.  To those that do not talk but listen (gooi varkoor) unfortunately you will have to find another source to listen.

2.  I have the following radio equipment running every day in the shack.

  • DMR Repeater
  • WSPR Beacon
  • 2m RF Simplex Link
  • 6 cm CW Beacon
  • 70 cm RF Simplex Link (at times when necessary)
  • 2 x WiFi Routers
  • 5.8 Ghz AREDN Node 

I am getting ready for the 6 Meter "Magic Band" Season that will soon commence.  I want to keep RF levels in and around the shack as low as possible.  This will entail switching of other RF radio equipment that does not get used regularly.  

3.  I have indicated before that I want to concentrate more on DMR and 6 Meter Operation. Well the time has arrived for just doing that.  Unfortunately I will have to relinquish other systems to ensure that I have optimal "conditions" in and around the shack for DMR and 6 Meter operations.

4.  I also need to use current antenna poles to install 6 Meter and 70 cm antennas.  I will therefor remove the 2 Meter antenna pole to be used for 6 Meters.

5.  The current EMI / Ground Level Noise is running quite high in the shack due to various outside factors.  I need to lower this noise factor and need to eliminate the source of this noise if possible.  I will use the process of elimination to hopefully solve the high noise level. 

6.  I intend using separate TX and RX equipment for 6 Meters.  Power output will also differ depending on the mode of communication.  I do not want to run any equipment that is not being utilized regularly.  I will run all equipment from solar power, hopefully noise free!

There you have it.   Will the ZS1I AllStar Hub in Mossel Bay still be available and operational for use by radio amateur?  YES, it will work as before, just without the 2m RF Link on 145.550 Mhz.  I will monitor the running systems and might utilize the 145.550 Mhz RF Link again in future when the need arise.


Let's build the Modified "Squeakie" RF Field Strength Meter - Peter Parker VK3YE (Part 3)

I was not satisfied with the functioning and build of the veroboard "Squeakie" Field Strength Meter described in Part 2.  I decide...