css body, p, .post-body { font-family: 'Google Sans Text', sans-serif !important; } /* Apply Google Sans to Post Titles and Headings */ h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, .post-title, .post h2 { font-family: 'Google Sans', sans-serif; font-weight: 500; }

Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Let's build a Passive RF Field Strength Meter (Part 2)

 

Image:  Passive RF Field Strength Meter 

Let's build a Passive RF Field Strength Meter (Part 1) available  HERE. 

I have completed the Passive RF Field Strength Meter.

Herewith a few notes:

  • This field strength meter is for use on HF and VHF.  It has it's limitations in using it on VHF with a handheld putting out 3 - 5 Watt RF power.  The more RF Output Power the stronger "Squeaks" you will get.
  • The ideal cabinet for the meter is either metal or aluminum.  I used a 3D printed cabinet which I lined with aluminum tape on the inside to screen the components against stray RF.  
  • Use a decent RX antenna on the RF Field Strength Meter.  It will improve sensitivity and range.
  • I installed a ground wire that I hold in my hand.  I found that the RX is much better with the ground wire making contact with my hand.  If you use a metal or aluminum box I still recommend a ground wire as an "earth".  Hi Hi!!!
  • Keep your wires in the box as short as possible to prevent interaction with possible stray RF or Capacitance.
  • The sensitivity (tuning) control is adjusted to achieve maximum sensitivity but also to keep the meter between 01 and 60. 
  • You can use the tuning control when moving further or closer away from the RF Field Strength Meter to "calibrate" the meter.

An RF field strength meter is a helpful tool that measures the intensity of radio frequency (RF) electromagnetic fields in the air. If you build, tune, or experiment with antennas, it gives you a practical way to see how much energy your antenna is actually radiating.

What It Does

Detects Radiation: It picks up wireless signals through a small antenna without needing a direct physical connection to your transmitter.

Compares Signals: Most hobbyist meters show relative strength. They tell you if your signal is getting stronger or weaker as you make adjustments.

Finds Nulls and Lobes: You can walk around an antenna to map out where the signal goes.Why You Need One for Antennas

Verify Output: It confirms that radio frequency energy is actually leaving your antenna element and going into the air.

Tune for Maximum Gain: As you tweak an antenna match or adjust lengths, a higher meter reading indicates improved radiated power.

Check Directionality: You can test directional antennas (like a Yagi) to compare front, side, and rear signal strength.

Troubleshoot Noise: It helps track down unwanted RF leaks, common-mode current on feedlines, or local electromagnetic interference. 

In my humble opinion the RF Field Strength Meter is not strictly necessary in a radio shack, but it is a helpful optional tool for tracking stray RF and checking basic antenna radiation without having to by expensive test equipment.

Images:  Click on images for larger view.

 





Let's build the Modified "Squeakie" RF Field Strength Meter - Peter Parker VK3YE (Part 3)

I was not satisfied with the functioning and build of the veroboard "Squeakie" Field Strength Meter described in Part 2.  I decide...