css body, p, .post-body { font-family: 'Google Sans Text', sans-serif !important; } /* Apply Google Sans to Post Titles and Headings */ h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, .post-title, .post h2 { font-family: 'Google Sans', sans-serif; font-weight: 500; }

Monday, August 10, 2026

Once again the Internet has failed in the Southern Cape Area of South Africa


Image:  AI 

This is not going to be a moaning or groaning topic however I must admit that the lack of Starlink Internet is definitely felt in this fifth world country we living in.  For the past three days I have experienced sporadic Internet outages for whatever reason, this does not matter. Matter of fact is there is currently no reliable Internet service from my providers and once again let me rather not mention them.  What really matter is that there is really no alternative except amateur radio when the Internet fails.  Lots of talk about an alternative for Starlink which they say is going to be a South African Satellite Service Provider.  I can just wonder what is going on behind the scenes and how this so called "brilliant" provider is going to provide and alternative to Starlink with old satellites.  I have my thoughts about this but I will keep it to myself. Time will tell what this third world service and outdated satellites will provide as opposition to Starlink.  I doubt it this fifth world country is able to compete with Starlink.  Enough!!

Let's see what the future holds but until then I presume we must be satisfied with a firth world Internet service in this country.

Finally:  I still say we as radio amateurs need to find alternatives for the Internet and don't tell me it is HF Radio or VHF/UHF Repeaters.  I am working on a few projects that if successful will be used as alternatives for the Internet.  What are you doing to find alternatives? 

 

Let's build the Modified "Squeakie" RF Field Strength Meter - Peter Parker VK3YE (Part 3)

I was not satisfied with the functioning and build of the veroboard "Squeakie" Field Strength Meter described in Part 2.  I decide...