css body, p, .post-body { font-family: 'Google Sans Text', sans-serif !important; } /* Apply Google Sans to Post Titles and Headings */ h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, .post-title, .post h2 { font-family: 'Google Sans', sans-serif; font-weight: 500; }

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Let's build the "Squeakie" RF Field Strength Meter - Peter Parker VK3YE (Part 2)


I have completed the "Squeakie"  RF Field Strength Meter.

Herewith a few notes:

  • This field strength meter is for use on HF and VHF.  It has it's limitations in using it on VHF with a handheld putting out 3 - 5 Watt RF power.  The more RF Output Power the stronger "Squeaks" you will get.
  • The ideal cabinet for the meter is either metal or aluminum.  I used a 3D printed cabinet which I lined with aluminum tape on the inside to screen the components against stray RF.  
  • Use a decent RX antenna on the RF Field Strength Meter.  It will improve sensitivity and range.
  • I installed a ground wire (purple in colour) that I hold in my hand.  I found that the RX is much better with the ground wire making contact with my hand.  If you use a metal or aluminum box I still recommend a ground wire as an "earth".  Hi Hi!!!
  • Keep your wires in the box as short as possible to prevent interaction with possible stray RF or Capacitance.
  • The "Squeak": When the sensitivity control is adjusted right to the edge just before self-oscillation, the circuit achieves maximum sensitivity. A tiny amount of RF causes clicking, and stronger RF drives the 555 timer into a higher-pitched audible squeak or shriek through the speaker. 
  • I used a traditional landline telephone handset speaker (100 to 150 ohms) that actually work better and offer several functional advantages over a standard 8-ohm speaker for this specific circuit.  The reason being: 100-to-150-ohm telephone speakers are specifically engineered to be highly sensitive to vocal/mid-range audio using very little electrical power. They will cleanly reproduce the faint, early "clicking" and low-power squeaks at the very edge of the meter's threshold, extending the usable sensitivity of the device. 

I will definitely play around with the "Squeakie" when I find the time. It is now onto completing the Passive RF Field Strength Meter  and putting it into a cabinet.

Images:  Click on images for larger view.

 










Let's build the Modified "Squeakie" RF Field Strength Meter - Peter Parker VK3YE (Part 3)

I was not satisfied with the functioning and build of the veroboard "Squeakie" Field Strength Meter described in Part 2.  I decide...